Research: Limesurvey user feedback on templates and GUI design
completed by: Paco P.
mentors: Marcel Minke, Carsten Schmitz (c_schmitz)
From time to time Limesurvey runs some surveys itself, we simply use those surveys to find out more about our users. The resulting data tells us a lot about the areas where we have to improve the program and makes it easier to prioritize tasks.
After having ported the code to a PHP framework recently, we are planning to now focus on improving the really outdated GUI. Therefore we need to know what our users think about the current GUI and where we should start working. It's your task to have a look at the current GUI and think about some GUI related questions.
- Have a look at the Limesurvey admin interface and make some notes about things you like and things you don't like.
- Import a test survey containing all question types (we can provide such a survey) and test it using the shipped templates. Create a like/dislike list.
- Have a look at your lists and think how we can ask other users about the issues you noted. This includes rating questions and open text questions.
- Discuss the questions and your proposed survey design with your mentor.
- After we have agreed on the questions we want to ask, set up the survey at our online system and test it carefully.
- Start the survey and write a short description so we can annunce it at the forums, on twitter at on the Limesurvey homepage.