test moin2 with pypy 1.7
completed by: Julian Brost
mentors: Bastian Blank, Reimar Bauer, Thomas Waldmann, Prashant Kumar, Eugene Syromyatnikov
pypy 1.7 was released recently (bug fixes and speed improvements).
We need testing whether moin2 works with it (and how fast it is).
download pypy 1.7 (and 1.6), use the binary they offer!
- create some virtualenvs - for (c)python 2.6 or 2.7, for pypy 1.6 and 1.7
- do manual testing
- run all our unittests using py.test
- how long does it take?
- run ab (apachebench) against the different setups
- always use same concurrency / request count when comparing performance!
- always start with a fresh process (because of the JIT of pypy)
- stay in contact with moin devs on #moin-dev on IRC
Deliverables: wiki page:
- document test failures and problems that do happen with pypy, but do not happen with cpython
- document performance values for cpython, pypy 1.6 and 1.7, how much faster is pypy 1.7 compared to 1.6 / cpython?
- document how you measured performance
- if you find bugs in moin2 that are easy to fix to make it work better with pypy, submit some changesets
- if you find hard to fix bugs in moin2, file bitbucket issues
- if you find issues in pypy, file issues to their issue tracker
Note: unless otherwise noted, tasks usually refer to moin2 (http://moinmo.in/MoinMoin2.0)!
http://hg.moinmo.in/moin/1.9 - repository of moin 1.9
http://moimo.in/MoinMoinChat - please join us on IRC #moin-dev
You can discuss this issue in the MoinMoin wiki: http://moinmo.in/EasyToDo/test%20moin2%20with%20pypy%201.7