Migrate repository from SVN to git
completed by: Marcin Lawniczak
mentors: Peli, Friedger Müffke, Randy McEoin, Manuel R. Ciosici
The task is to research how a the current OI repository which uses SVN can be migrated to git at Google Code. Of course we can not migrate the repository during the Google Code-in, but everything should be prepared in such a way, that one could quickly make the transition once GCI is over.
Create a dummy test project at Google Code, create a few commits, and carefully document all steps that are necessary for the transition as administrator. The complete history of the project should be retained. Also create documentation for developers how to switch from svn to git, including the most useful commands for git or the use of git clients for Windows. Include web links for further information or references where appropriate, but your text should contain all the essential information.
Your solution should be a text file containing the results of your research. The formatting should use the Google Code Wiki Syntax, so that the content can be later easily included in the OpenIntents wiki.
- Difficulty: easy
- Time limit: 14 days
- Requirements for completed entry:
- Send a text file including your research results.
- Send a link to the Google Code test project that you successfully converted.
- The text file must contain step-by-step instructions for the conversion of an SVN repository to a git repository.
- The text file must also contain instructions for developers on how to use git instead of svn.