completed by: Peter Poláčik
mentors: Andrew Whitworth
The file src/extend.c contains a collection of older functions and is in need of cleaning. See Parrot Ticket #2133 for more information. Do the following:
- Parrot_*printf and clones: If possible, remove these functions and replace usages with equivalents in src/misc.c. If there are no equivalents, move the function from src/extend.c to src/misc.c. We do not want any printf-related functions in src/extend.c. If you move functions, please refactor them as much as possible to reuse existing code.
- Parrot_get_root_namespace should be moved to src/namespace.c, if there isn't already another function there that does the same thing. If there is a duplicate function, delete Parrot_get_root_namespace. Otherwise, move it to src/namespace.c and rename it to Parrot_ns_get_root_namespace
- Parrot_PMC_new should be deleted. All calls should be diverted to Parrot_pmc_new (src/pmc.c)
- Parrot_PMC_null should be renamed Parrot_pmc_null and moved to src/pmc.c
- All functions for setting/accessing registers directly are really bad and need to be deleted without being replaced. Any code that uses these functions (I do not think they are used, but I might be wrong) needs to be fixed.
- Parrot_new_string should be deleted and all calls should be redirected to Parrot_str_new or Parrot_str_new_init (src/string/api.c) instead.
- Parrot_register_pmc and Parrot_unregister_pmc shoudl both be deleted. All calls should be redirected to Parrot_pmc_gc_register and Parrot_pmc_gc_unregister (src/pmc.c) respectively. Same thing with Parrot_register_string and Parrot_unregister_string (Parrot_str_gc_register and Parrot_str_gc_unregister in src/string/api.c)
- Other functions not mentioned above are fine and do not need to be modified in any way.
Steps To Complete This Task
- Create a fork of parrot.git on github.com
- Make all changes described above
- Run "make headerizer" to update include files.
- Build Parrot and run all tests (make test). Verify that nothing is broken.
- Create a Github pull request (button on the upper right of your fork) to have your changes incorporated into the master repository
- C Programming Language
- Optional: sed, grep, ack, perl, or any other tool with regular expressions and searching to help make this job easier