Deduplicate methods in FileHandle
completed by: Aleksandar
mentors: Andrew Whitworth
The FileHandle PMC in Parrot has two methods that are almost identical: print and puts. We do not need both. Remove the puts method from the FileHandle PMC (src/pmc/filehandle.pmc). Add the return value to the print method. Replace all uses of the puts method in the test suite and runtime library (runtime/parrot/*). Update any documentation that references the puts method of FileHandle (src/docs/*).
Steps To Complete This Task
- Create a fork of parrot.git on github.com
- Perform all the necessary code and/or documentation changes
- Build parrot and run it's test suite (make fulltest) to verify that things still work
- You can also submit a smoke report with "make smoke", but that is optional. This requires installing a few Perl modules from CPAN.
- Create a Github pull request (button on the upper right of your fork) to have your changes incorporated into the master repository
- Having methods that do the same thing is confusing and wasteful. Removing duplicated code makes things less confusing and easier to maintain. It gives us a smaller interface necessary to implement for subclasses.
- C Programming Language