StyledEdit - Implement status line with extended functionality (ticket #3655)
completed by: Vlad Slepukhin
mentors: Eugene Katashov, Siarzhuk Zharski, Gerasim Troeglazov
The goal of this task is to improove StledEdit with implementing Status line displaying some extended information about current document and it's state. This task should also fix the issue registered in Haiku Trac as ticket #3655.
This is a coding task, for this task you will need to have a Haiku build environment setup, and be able to compile either Haiku or standalone StyledEdit project to fix the problem and check if your solution works. The basic knowledge of GIT SCM is also needed.
- Install Haiku either on real hardware or in Virtual Machine (BTW, I can assist installing VirtualBox so it is obviously recommended by me);
- Take familiar with the problem you should fix;
- Get either the Haiku source tree or standalone StyledEdit project sources build it and find solution to fix the problem;
- Read the discussion in ticket #3655 comments. Looks like some rudimentary status line existed some years ago but was disabled. Your task is to restore it and fill with features;
- At least following information is requested to be in status line:
- current line (may be in format "line X of XXX");
- current position of the caret;
- current encoding of the document;
- read-only state of the document;
- modified state of the document;
- Font face, family and size under the caret;
- something that you can propose to add.
- After completing this task, please provide us with the git-formatted patch implementing your fix.
Haiku Alpha A4.1 (required developer tools are included) http://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku
Ticket "[StyledEdit] column number add" http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/3655
Standalone StyledEdit project at gitorious.org: https://gitorious.org/gci2012/stylededit
Getting and building Haiku sources: http://www.haiku-os.org/guides/building
Varios Haiku development resources: http://www.haiku-os.org/development
Haiku Coding Guidelines: https://www.haiku-os.org/development/coding-guidelines