Marble: Performance optimization for Stars plugin
completed by: Illya Kovalevskyy
mentors: Torsten Rahn, René Küttner, Dennis Nienhüser
This task is about doing performance optimizations for the stars plugin. This includes especially the sun/moon/planet code that got introduced recently.
- measure how long the total rendering (i.e. the calculations performed + drawing) of sun/moon/planets takes (using QTime::elapsed()). Check how long each part takes.
- Provide a table that lists the timings
- If the whole rendering takes a significant amount of time (> 5ms) then we need to do something about it:
- Create a patch that only recalculates positions for the solarsystem object and creates the pixmap for the phase of the moon if MarbleClock::timeChanged() gets called.
- Look for further possibilities to optimize the plugin in terms of performance and code refactoring.