Web Page: http://wiki.maemo.org/GSoC_2009
Mailing List: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Maemo community is a open source community developing software around the Maemo platform. The Maemo community has over 16,000 registered members who contribute to more than 800 development projects. We work with open source tools and processes. We develop new software on top of the platform as well as for the core platform itself. Applications developed with the Maemo SDK are used today by thousands of Maemo users around the world.
Maemo provides an open source development platform for Nokia Internet Tablets and other Linux-based embedded devices. It is build from components widely used in open desktop and mobile/embedded systems: the Linux kernel, Xserver, DBus, GTK+, Gstreamer, Telepathy, GnomeVFS... We develop the Hildon Application Framework in order to integrate functionality and user interface to the maemo platform. We also provide a Software Development Kit containing the tools needed to create and port applications, replicating the Internet Tablet environment in a PC.
For more information about the participation of the Maemo community in GSoC 2009, go to: http://wiki.maemo.org/GSoC_2009
- Barcode scanner and Shopping Assistant Develop a barcode reader that makes shopping a new experience. The application will read the bar-code of products using the camera on ITT devices and compare the price with other local stores, see product reviews and also build and share shopping lists, wish lists etc..
- BitTorrent plugin for Canola Canola is media center like application for Nokia tablets with Maemo. It has good capabilities for extending it's functionality via plugins. I intend to write BitTorrent plugin with RSS-feed reader which could be used to download legal media from Legal Torrents.
- IM Client For Canola Using Python-purple This project intends to build a simple and easy to use IM client plugin for Canola using Python-purple. The project objectives are: 1) Learn how Canola works, its plugin interface and architecture 2) Study about libpurple and python-purple binding 3) Finish the development of the python-purple 4) Develop the IM backend along with a simple interface to test it 5) Improve the interface to allow things like message pop up, auto-login, etc.
- Integrating Maemo in Open Embedded(OE) - Creating a 'maemo image' in OE for the N800/N810 The project aim is to get a file-system image of maemo built in OE for the N800/N810 with all the Maemo software stack components - including the hildon UI environment. The work done for this will also include making the platform itself portable - i.e. being able to port Maemo components for a device over a given base, say angstrom.
- Liqbase Framework Development and Application Implementation Assist in the development of the liqbase framework, and apply the liqbase framework as a UI for an interactive and visual system/network monitoring application
- Mnemosyne for Maemo Port Mnemosyne  learning tool based on spaced repetition technique  to Maemo platform. This program can help users to learn foreign languages, sound fragments, graphic information. The main advantage of using Mnemosyne on Maemo is its mobility: you can use it anywhere where you have free time and your tablet with you.
- Picasa plugin for Canola The aim of this project is to develop a Picasa plugin for Canola. The plugin will be able to access the web albums stored at Picasa, to upload new pictures, to add/update descriptions and tags). The plugin will ease and shorten the process of taking and sharing a picture on the Internet. It will also use GPS data to fill location information in picture's meta-data and to search for pictures taken in current region.
- Remember The Milk plugin for Canola The main goal of this project is to create a program which allows users to manage personal todo (or task) lists in easy and comfortable way with support of most the of modern features - synchronization, finger friendly interface, tags, integration with other applications. Program will be implemented as a plugin for Canola. Task lists will be available locally on a tablet and can be synchronized with www.rememberthemilk.com service.
- Semantic-Based Context-aware Personalized News reader System for Maemo Current news reader on mobile devices doesn't take mobile environment and personal special interest into account. The main goal of this project is to add some intelligent features into the reader system then it can filter news information according to user's interest, user's environment and even it can intelligently store and download information according to the situation of network and storage of the Internet Tablet. It would be in linked context-aware and semantic technique to reach the goal.
- Twitter application and Twitpic support for Canola. Canola is a media center like application for Nokia Tablets. Canola could be used to listen to music, watch videos, view images and play podcasts from the device or over the internet. Twitter is social networking and micro blogging system that is experiencing exploding growth. Twitpic is a service to share photos over twitter. With this project I hope to provide a twitter application and Twitpic support for canola.