Mailing List: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
The Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. is a nonprofit charitable organization dedicated to encouraging the growth, development and distribution of free, multilingual content, and to providing the full content of these wiki-based projects to the public free of charge. The Wikimedia Foundation operates some of the largest collaboratively edited reference projects in the world, including Wikipedia, the fourth most visited website in the world.
- Extension management platform for MediaWiki Creating an awesome extension management platform for MediaWiki, facilitating the installation, updating, removal and configuration of extensions.
- General RDF export/import in Semantic MediaWiki Rework and extend the import/export functionality of Semantic MediaWiki (SMW) to allow also full, general RDF import. One motivation and use case is to use SMW as a collaborative RDF editor integrated with workflow / workbench software like Bioclipse, for workflows of the type: Import RDF --> Collaboratively edit --> Export in same format The project will include general reworkings of the import/export functionality though, which that specific use case can take advantage of.
- Improve metadata support for uploaded media in mediawiki by displaying and extracting embedded IPTC, XMP, and other metadata formats. Currently Mediawiki only supports displaying jpeg exif metadata on image pages. Some other metadata can also be returned using the api prop=imageinfo&iiprop=metadata, however this is not that useful to the average viewer since it is not displayed. I propose as my project (should I be accepted and all that) to improve Mediawiki's support for metadata of uploaded files. This would include extracting metadata for more media formats, and displaying the metadata on image pages where it is useful.
- Reasonably efficient interwiki template transclusion The aim is to be able to include templates from another wiki on the WikiMedia Foundation wikis. This functionality has been requested since 2004 and has already been added to MediaWiki but is *not* enabled on WMF wikis because of performance problems. A bug report (#9890) opened in 2007 describes a solution to those problems, but it needs "a substantial amount of code" and someone doing it. That's what I propose to do.
- Wikisource Legal Tool Creating a tool to format judicial decisions, legal scholarship, and statutes for Wikisource.