OSGeo - Open Source Geospatial Foundation
Mailing List: http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/soc
OSGeo is a non-profit organization serving as an umbrella organization for the Open Source Geospatial community in general and 20 (to 26) code projects in particular:
Web Mapping: deegree, geomajas, GeoServer, Mapbender, MapBuilder, MapFish, MapGuide Open Source, MapServer, OpenLayers
Desktop Applications: GRASS GIS, OSSIM, Quantum GIS, gvSIG
Geospatial Libraries: FDO, GDAL/OGR, GEOS, GeoTools, MetaCRS, PostGIS
- The following are sub-projects of MetaCRS:
- CS-Map, GeoTIFF/libgeotiff, PROJ.4, Proj4J, Proj4js, SpatialReference.org
Metadata Catalog: GeoNetwork
Other (non-code) Projects: Public Geospatial Data, Education and Curriculum, Live Handout DVD
- Add tests and educational games support to gvSIG Educa/Batoví The objective would be to extend the thematic maps support already available to allow to design and play tests and educational games, to be used in geography and maps learning. The main tasks to perform would be: - Extend the thematic maps editor plugin to allow to create tests and educational games. - Extend the thematic maps viewer plugin to play tests and educational games created through the previous plugin. - Add support for some types of tests and games like: - Localization of place names through the selection of geographic shapes. - Localization of geographic shapes through the selection of place names.
- adding GPS survey capabilities to gvSIG Mini and shapefile driver Add Storing GPS coordinates capabilities in a well-known vector format as is shapefiles using gvSIG Mini and GPS
- Complex Image Processing Chain and Under Water Image Processing using pyossim The idea is to create complex image processing chain using the OSSIM python bindings pyossim. The work will add 'numpy-array' capabilities into pyossim as exchanging formats to include python-gdal and pyOpenCV to solve image processing problems for under water images processing (develop methods for : Bayer Demosaicing, Light detrend, color correction on raw tiff CCD images). For testing purpose, raw CCD images and relative camera metadata (focal length, distance from the ground, roll, pitch, gain etc..) from the Habcam project will be used.
- Correlator in GDAL Producing a single seamless image from single frames (remote sensing data from aircraft and UAVs)
- Distance Analysis Tools 2012 for PostGIS Raster Many functions have been implemented in PostGIS Raster for raster storage, access, editing, and processing. It would be useful to have some raster analysis tools available in PostGIS Raster for users to solve practical problems. Distance analysis is one of the basic spatial analysis tools. The idea for this proposed project is to add two spatial analysis functions to PostGIS Raster that implement two main ways of performing distance analysis: Euclidean distance calculation and cost-weighted distance calculation.
- GRASS GIS WxGui front end for vector analysis modules GRASS GIS provides various modules for vector network analysis. It is difficult to use these powerful modules for beginners in GRASS because these modules can be used only in command line. Main goal of the project is to make user-friendly WxGUi front end for vector network analyses. Additional goal is to improve functionality of Attribute Table Manager.
- gvSIG Desktop plugin for change detection from multi-temporal sequence of satellite images using principal component analysis. It is propossed a developing project extending gvSIG Desktop version 2.0 (software for managing geographic information with cartographic accuracy, distributed under the GNU GPL v2) that enables the automatic calculation from a multi-temporal sequence of Landsat images, the changes by applying the Principal Components Analisis.
- Image Segmentation in GRASS GIS Implement the region growing image segmentation algorithm. The output will include segmented regions with statistics. This information can be directly used or taken as input to existing image classification modules.
- Implementation of Bidirectional Search Algorithm for PGRouting Bidirectional search can speedup finding shortest path by reducing node exploration. In the project I want to implement Bidirectional Dijkstra and Bidirectional A* for PGRouting. I will implement the necessary data structures and the algorithms. I also intend to provide turn restriction support and hierarchical heuristic as nice to have feature.
- Implementing route analysis of OSM data within uDig, using Neo4j-Spatial graph database Enable uDig users to plot shortest-path route of OSM data, using a Neo4j-Spatial API.
- Integrate a New Shortest Path Algorithm to pgRouting Routing is a very fundamental task in geographic applications, and pgRouting is a famous routing library which provides routing functions for many GIS software, such as PostGIS/PostgreSQL. As the growing of data size, routing becomes time consuming. To pgRouting, I want to integrate a new shortest path algorithm, Mild-TWO-Q, which is proved to be a very fast algorithm.
- Object Based Image Analysis Tools for Opticks Build Feature/Object Based Image analysis tools for Opticks. These tools will partition remote sensing (RS) imagery into meaningful image-objects, and assess their characteristics through spatial, spectral and temporal scale. At its most fundamental level, OBIA(object based image analysis) requires image segmentation, attribution, classification and the ability to query and link individual objects in space and time.
- Opticks - Basic SAR Processing Tools: Geocoding and stereo measurement Overall, my project proposal concerns the development of the main tools necessary for SAR imagery georeferencing and orthorectification, exploiting the full capabilities of the sensor. In particular, I would like to include in Opticks a robust rigorous orientation model for two SAR high resolution sensors: RADARSAT-2 and TerraSAR-X. In addition, I will provide an handy tool to perform 3D stereo measurements.
- Orfeo Toolbox backend for the Sextante framework in QGIS Incorporate the most used remote sensing, classification & filtering OTB alogrithms into the Sextante framework, using its python bindings. Algorithm descriptions will be generated semi-automatically. Also incorporate multithreading to sextante to enable algorithm interruption.
- Porting discontinued Axios Spatial Tools into uDig core 1.3 Geographical Information System desktop tool are essential to any spatial scientist. They are their swiss-army knife. Since this market is a niche one, it is ruled by few major companies selling full-featured products. Despite this the open source community could find a way into it and uDig is one of the most effective products of this effort. Along the complex history of this software, many actors were involved and gave their contribution to its success. Unfortunately not all stories had a happy end. It is the case of the really interesting set of spatial tools developed by Axios. Since the closure of the Spanish Axios (former website http://www.axios.es) the uDig# project has moved to version 1.3.0. This caused the Axios uDig Extensions to be discontinued and not to be available in current uDig framework. This is a real issue and a pity since the Axios’ were the most complete and and stable set of tools to perform interactive topological editing and visually-aided spatial operations within uDig. The essence of this proposal is hence to apply for admission in Google Summer of Code with the specific goal of porting “Axios uDig Extensions” into the current uDig 1.3.x framework.
- Python high level map interaction for GRASS GIS I would like to interact with region, raster and vector maps as object, using and interacting with the map and the other GRASS functionality in a more higher and abstract way. For people used to `numpy` I would like to interact with the map with the same simplicity that I interact with matrix using `numpy`.
- QGIS for Mobile Devices Building a suitable GUI for devices with small touch-screen and adapting existing features to the new GUI.
- Solver for the TSP and VRP for gvSIG Desktop Develop a tool on top of gvSIG's Network Extension to solve the Traveling Salesman Problem and Vehicle Routing Problem, using Genetic Algorithms.
- Spectral Algorithm Development for Opticks Opticks has a Spectral Processing Extension. I will expand its capability by adding new algorithms to it. I will implement algorithms related to clustering, classification and change detection.
- Symbology Usability Improvments for QGIS The project aims to improve the user interface and usability of QGIS for operations relating to application and customization of symbols, and add social symbol functions for easy symbol/style sharing.