Mailing List: mailto:email@example.com
The openSUSE project is a worldwide effort that promotes the use of Linux everywhere. openSUSE creates one of the world's best Linux distributions, working together in an open, transparent and friendly manner as part of the worldwide Free and Open Source Software community. We are a worldwide project, with a community of people with different levels of expertise, speaking different languages and having different cultural backgrounds, and we embrace a wide variety of technology. We rely on contributions from the community and this is why we have opened the access to our development process, and we are working on extensive community development programs.
This year we are collaborating with various projects across the globe which include syslog-ng, ownCloud and Hedgewars
- [Hedgewars] New Mission Campaign A new Campaign Mission that will teach the game play through a funny way to the players. The Campaign story will be about the travels of a spaceman through the outer space. Players will be able to play certain stages of the campaign in a not specified order and regarding their accomplishments new stages will be unlocked. Coop stages is likely to be added. In order to implement the above, some changes may be required in the underlying layers(LuaAPI,Animate.lua etc.).
- Automatic Resizing of LVM and File Systems Building a standalone application / tool that can perform automatic resizing of file system and logical volumes. This tool can be called by the package manager during installation on encountering low space exception and this tool can also perform automatic resizing if the free space required by a user for a specific Volume decrease below a certain level.
- Build a discussion system for the Open Build Service The Open Build Service (OBS) is a generic system to build and distribute binary packages from sources in an automatic, consistent and reproducible way. You can release packages as well as updates, add-ons, appliances and entire distributions for a wide range of operating systems and hardware architectures. Although, unfortunately there isn’t a centralized way for packagers or even users to discuss different objects on OBS. Whatever communication happens is outside the OBS (IRC, mailing lists etc). That being said the project idea aims at implementing object specific discussion system in OBS(packages, projects and repositories). Also, instead of reinventing the wheel and creating a discussion system from scratch. The idea here is to extend on an external commenting system, acts_as_commentable_with_threading (https://github.com/elight/acts_as_commentable_with_threading). It will work seamlessly with OBS infrastructure and will be implemented on the front-end of OBS (webui instance).
- Git-review: A Github code review tool for CLI lovers Git-review will be a command-line code review tool for developers and teams working on projects on Github. You can do code reviews and mange pull requests and discussion all in the terminal.
- Improving the User Interface for the Files and User Management modules in ownCloud. Design and user experience unfortunately is still neglected in many open source projects. ownCloud aims to change that and get people involved in the design process. Currently, ownCloud lacks complete uniformity in the front-end of the Files and User Management modules. All the modules have their own specific front-end independent from each other. The project plans to implement a common layout for these 2 modules so as to make the user experience seamless and keeping the software modules consistent with each other.
- OSEM (Open Source Event Manager) Improvements & Enhancements Open Source Event Manager is a platform for foss event planning. OSEM being a new project, has several things that need to be done. My GSOC project aims to focus on 3 categories: A. Implement features to make use easier B. Implement features that help reduce workload of event organizers C.Introduce new features that aim to concentrate more elements of a larger-scale conference organization into a single platform
- ownCloud - Media app replacement - introduce a RESTful API for music This should replace the currently unmaintained media app and introduce a RESTful API for music. The resulting app is based on appframework and uses AngularJS for the frontend.
- Profile management tool for AppArmor The current generation of profile management tools for AppArmor are either quite bug-ridden or no longer maintained. This calls for a fresh re-write of the tool, which plays a crucial role in defining the set of rules used by AppArmor for the various applications across platforms. Besides aiming to be a better implementation of the profile management tool we also seek to provide an added functionality to merge profiles and also get an online repository back alive.
- syslog-ng: MySQL destination driver The idea is to implement a new MySQL destination driver for syslog-ng, which does not have the limitations of the libdbi-based solution, is more flexible, and performs much better in high message rate situations.
- syslog-ng: redis destination The goal of the project is to develop a new syslog-ng destination plugin, one that can add or change data in redis and have a reliably database with the function of getting real-time counters, statistics or in other cases caching.